Monthly Archives: March 2014

Chalk Board & Magnetic Board

It doesn’t take much to inspire me these days! This piece of beadboard laying around my parents new building site was all I needed! I decided to stain it with some stain I had on hand.

photo 1-1

photo 2-1

After I stained it I taped off one square section, and added a metal piece that I salvaged that was a stove pipe of some type that I flattened out.I also added some knobs I had on hand to hang little things on at the bottom.

I wanted to make a chalkboard so I decided to try to fill in the grooves with some plain putty. Then I lightly sanded and painted with some home-made teal chalk paint.

photo 3-1

In the end, I think it turned out pretty good. It gives my little one a place to write with chalk and I hope to find some magnetic letters I can add to the magnetic side for her to work on spelling!!

photo 4-1

Advertisements

Storage Locker Make Over

I knew that when I came upon this:

Locker_1Locker_2

at a garage sale for $10 I HAD to have it, no matter how pitiful it looked! I had been looking for a bookshelf for a while for my daughters room. This metal storage locker was in reasonably sad condition but had little rust and very solid. I started with a a MAJOR sanding job. It took a while to get the drips and inconsistencies smoothed off from the hot pink paint. Although I didn’t get it perfectly smooth, I sanded as much as I could. After, I used some ¬†cream “oops” paint I had as a primer coat.

photo 3

After the primer dried, I went to town. I painted the outside in a light purple color and the inside of the door a teal. Then decided to do each cubby a different color. Since this was plain latex paint, I did take it outside and spray some clear enamel spray paint to hopefully seal it so that it will not scratch off.

photo 4

All I need to do now is find a cute handle to put on the outside and it will be set. Pretty good $10 project if I say so!

outside_locker


Fabric Wall Hanging

This idea started with a scrap pile of wood at my parents new home they are building. The waste they create is unbelievable! I gathered up some 1×1’s and I knew that I had this beautiful piece of fabric I got at a thrift sale that I would have loved to have as curtains in my bedroom, but only had one piece. So here is what I came up with.

First off I laid out my pieces and just decided to cut them so that I had 2 equal long and 2 equal size pieces. I didn’t even measure exact length since these were scrap pieces, I just wanted it as big as the pieces allowed! Then I just used my drill and screwed them together with 2″ screws.

FRAME 1Frame 2

Next I took the iron and ironed my fabric and laid it out and put the frame on top of it. Then my staple gun did the rest! i just pulled it taught and started stapling and wrapped the ends like a present. It was pretty simple, especially with the lines on the fabric helped me keep it even. When I got done, I added double sided Command Strips to hang it.

Staple to FrameAdd Fastners

Lastly, a level and Volia! It adds a lot to my room!

Hang